Undergraduate Leadership Ventures
How WLV Facilitates Leadership:
Leadership Ventures are experiences that facilitate self-discovery, leadership, and character development. Participants are able to step out of their comfort zone, exceed personal limitations, and experience leadership firsthand. WLV programs provide a set of engaged, hands-on experiences for exploring and mastering the capabilities for effective individual and team leadership in business and beyond. Leadership Ventures that are offered consist of:
Intensives are consolidated and immersive group based experiences ranging from 1 – 2 days.
Expeditions are outdoor, experiential programs that span the globe and range from 6 – 10 days. Expeditions tend to be high in physical intensity.
The defining characteristics of a Venture include:
- Limited distractions
- Immersion event — limited opportunities to quit or exit
- Critical decision-making — the outcome is dependent on the decisions of the leader of the day and the team
- Authentic uncertainty —path/process to goal or outcome is not guaranteed, risk of failure is inherent
- Opportunities of stress — from ambiguity, risk of failure, conflict, and unfamiliar roles and responsibilities
- Expedition and goal-oriented with many opportunities for reflection
2022 – 2023 Registration and Dates
REGISTRATION – all registration occurs via Terra Dotta
VENTURE ENROLLMENT TIMELINE (intensives & expeditions):
- OPEN on 9/6/22
- CLOSES at NOON on 9/21/22
- Results Published: beginning 9/23/22
Expedition Payment Deadline: TBD in October
SCHOLARSHIPS – Students can apply for a scholarship seat on this year’s expedition (Patagonia Leadership Expedition) by first filling out the Scholarship Interest Form. All students will be vetted by the Financial Aid Office to be verify eligibility to receive a scholarship. All vetted scholarship candidates will be selected via lottery.
Please note the following in order to apply prior to applying:
- Scholarship Interest Form will go live on 9/6 (link to apply will be posted here)
- Scholarship Interest Form closes on 9/13
- Students will be notified if they received a scholarship (or not) on 9/16
Intensives & Expeditions: All intensive and expedition registration will happen at once in early September and all participants & waitlisted students will be notified by the end of September. Participant lists are randomly selected.
Fall Info Session: Be sure to attend our information session on 9/7 from 7-8pm in JMHH G65 to learn about our expeditions & intensives and what is involved in each!
|Gunks Ridge Traverse: Mountain Bike Navigation||Fall and Spring||Mountain Biking, Navigation, Team Building, Decision-Making, Collaboration, Team Dynamics|
|Leadership in the Sky: High Ropes Challenge Course||Fall and Spring||Team Building, High Ropes Course, Leadership Strategy, Communication, Rapport Building|
|Leadership at Sea: Team Sailing||Fall and Spring||Team Sailing, Feedback, Communication, Decision-Making, Team Dynamics|
More Venture Resources
Scholarships for the Leadership Ventures are awarded annually for expedition-based Ventures. Only initial Terra Dotta registrants will be eligible for the Scholarship.
Apply for a Fellowship
Venture Fellows are comprised of Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors who serve as student leaders on expeditions and intensives. Prior participation in a Wharton Leadership Venture is not necessary to become a fellow.